The Morgan Beef Group was established in the late 1990’s, beginning with a small and unassuming feedlot. Since then the company has developed into a substantial business operation and is, without doubt, considered to be one of South Africa’s leading meat providers and exporters.
The Morgan Beef Group comprises three main business units, namely:
- Morgan Abattoir – our meat wholesale, deboning and beef export-approved slaughterhouse;
- Morgan Agri – our agronomy and feedlot operation; and
- Morgan Hides – our wet blue leather tanning facility.
Each business unit is managed and coordinated by highly trained, skilled staff with years of unparalleled knowledge and experience.
At Morgan Beef we believe that customer satisfaction lies at the core of our business success. With over 25 years of experience in the meat industry, Morgan Beef has always taken a lead in building long-term and mutually beneficial business relationships.
We pride ourselves in our dedication to the quality and traceability assurance of our products and will continue to do so for many years to come.
OUR VISION AND VALUES
Morgan Beef is committed to the supply of high quality meat and meat products, and to the nurturing of both established and new client relationships in order to contribute to the sustainability of the red meat industry.
Each business unit in the Morgan Beef Group plays an integral role in contributing to our main goal – to harness the competitive advantage of our high quality beef processing systems and procedures and unique approach to customer service in order to be the leading and preferred supplier of meat products to local and international markets.
Morgan Beef’s future success and sustained growth is driven by our core values of integrity, transparency, accountability, urgency and commitment to excellence.
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT MANAGEMENT
Morgan Beef recognises that the production of red meat has environmental impacts. We have spent many years intensively researching methods of reducing energy consumption and limiting the dumping of potentially harmful waste products. And it is this commitment to sound environmental management that serves as the cornerstone of our decision to build a Biogas plant at our abattoir in December 2013.
Since the introduction of the Biogas system at our abattoir, Morgan Beef has been generating electricity through the conversion of waste products into renewable energy, providing the foundation for a greener slaughtering process. Raw materials ranging from agricultural waste, manure, plant material, green waste and food waste are broken down in the absence of oxygen to produce methane. The chemical energy from this gas is then converted to mechanical energy, which in turn activates a generator to produce electrical power. The material remains after the anaerobic digestion process is then further utilised as a fertilizer component, also known as digestate. Digestate is commonly used in fertilizer products across Europe.
The fully automated system at the abattoir, generates approximately 220 cubic meters of gas per hour, which is converted into 330kW of electric power for 12-16 hours per day, 7 days a week.
Morgan Beef complies with all the necessary rules and regulations governing the red meat industry and our certifications are a testament to this:
- Compliance with the regulations under the Meat Safety Act (Act no. 40 of 2000).
- FSSC 22000 certificate for compliance with the requirements of Food Safety System Certification (FSSC) 22000 (Version 5.1) for the slaughtering and deboning of beef and sheep meat for consumers and retailers. This certification includes the elements ISO 22000:2018, ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 and additional FSSC 22000 requirements (Version 5.1).
- Hides and skins export certificate – our certification of approval as a source of hides and skins for export purposes.
- Certificate for a Veterinary Approved Establishment for compliance with the South African requirements for the export of beef and mutton to countries or regions where import requirements can be met.
- Certificate for compliance with the SOP for importation of cattle, sheep and goats from Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and Swaziland for direct slaughter.
- Regular site visits from a representative of the South African Meat Industry Company (SAMIC) to ensure that our classifiers stay updated on the latest laws and regulations set by the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Regular inspections and audits at our feedlot in Delmas to ensure that we adhere to the strict guidelines set by the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries regarding feed procurement and custom feeding operations, as well as general feedlot maintenance.
Morgan Beef is proud to be associated with and accredited by the National Independent Halaal Trust (NIHT), formally the IHT, for Halaal meat product produce.
The Trust aspires to the highest Halaal standards as prescribed by Sharia (Islamic) Law and Morgan Beef continues to uphold these standards in all our slaughter procedures and value-added operations.